This lesson is suitable for students in: Lower Secondary
Title of artwork: How Else Would I Know You Care
Name of artist: Xie Shangyi
Possible Guiding Questions for discussing art
- Spot the differences between the day and night scene. What has changed? What is missing?
- How long would it take for you to take notice of the little changes at home, for example, things being moved around in your room? Who would it be?
- What would be your reaction to the little changes? Would you be upset with the person for moving your things, or would you be appreciative? Would you feel loved?
- Does the work remind you of the situation at home? Would you want to change the situation? How can the situation be changed?
- How does this work qualify as art?
Possible lesson ideas for making art
Observing the Twilight: the in-between of daylight and darkness
In this lesson, students will learn to:
- observe their surroundings in different conditions
- understand the effects of light in different situations, especially daylight and moon/ street lights, on a particular setting
- capture light in their artwork
- create a time-lapse video of a scene by the window using the time-lapse functions or applications in their smartphones/ gadgets (time period preferable during the *blue hour for at least 2-3hours)
- pick the extreme two scenes where light is drastically different and observe the light change
- re-create the night scene by shading in the lights and shadows on the B&W photograph of the observed day scene
*The blue hour is the period of twilight each morning and evening when the sun is a significant distance below the horizon and the residual, indirect sunlight takes on a predominantly blue hue.