Art Form: Assemblage
Elegant Art Task: Create a memento from found objects/materials to celebrate friendship.
Lesson objectives: Students will be able to:
- explore the deeper meaning of friendship and learn to appreciate and value their friends;
- understand what is assemblage art and create an artwork with found objects;
This lesson could be adapted for Secondary Three students, and further differentiated depending on their prior knowledge and experiences. The lesson unit will likely stretch over 2-3 weeks, and includes teacher demonstration-lecture, students-at-work, research, discussions, and reflections.
- Introduce assemblage art to the students.
- Invite students to respond to the artwork “Dear Jone… with Love” and other artists’ assemblage work using the ‘Let’s Talk About Art’ kit.
- Introduce the theme and elegant art task.
- Get students to define friendship and write about their most vivid memory of a chosen ‘friend’ or list down 5 words to describe the friend.
- Think of found objects that are related, to or remind them of that friend.
- Bring at least 3-4 found objects to class and get students to share about them (the significance, the meanings, the memories etc).
- Discuss and explore ways of arranging and assembling the found objects.
- Record their experimentation via photography or sketching, as well as through writing their thoughts.
- Organise critique session at intervals and give students opportunities to share on their progress, challenges and successes. During the sessions, invite other students to comment.
- Display of students’ work.
- Found objects
- Lesson Power-point slides on assemblage art and artists’ work